Tuesday nights, I am doing the Couch Potato to 5K Hero which has been interesting. I have been doing this program for 10+ years. During the run/walk sections, I listen to their interesting stories and how they get through the runs on their own. Most of the runners in the classes are middle age women. They do it for various reasons which will motivate you:
- Candy is in her 50s, retired, and has a steel plate with screws in her leg. She listens to her iPOD.
- Betsy is in her 50s, wants to reach her weight goal and be healthy. Diabetes runs in her family. Soon she will be off her blood pressure. Betsy’s mantra is “Runners don’t have butts”
- Judith is in her late 50s, wants to run a race with her daughter.
- Isobel is an inspiration to all women. She is from England and had breast cancer. Started running when she was 76 years old. She stopped running a couple years ago but still works out regularly.
- Erin started running at 28 years old because of stressful job in Boston and MS.
All these women have inspiring stories which I hope they inspire you. Most important it is never too late to start running or an exercise program.
My favorite mantra is from Carol: “Yes I can, yes I can”, from the Little Red Caboose children’s book.
What is your story or mantra to get you through your workouts?