As race season winds down and reviewing you accomplishments, it is time to set goals and plan for 2013:
- Write down your goals.
- Get a 2013 calendar. Start putting races on the calendar. Use Coolrunning.com or race websites for the dates.
- Prioritize the races from C to A. C races are workouts, A races are the main race. Limit the number of A races for the year.
- Make sure you have plenty of recovery and preparation between A races in the calendar.
- Review your 2012 races; look at what you need to work on.
- Go back to the basics: Use December through February to work on the weak part of sport or your weak sport. Write this in calendar.
- Now build on your basics with speed and endurance from March to peaking 1-2 weeks before your first A race. Write this in calendar.
- Maintain your fitness between the A races.
What you have created in your calendar is a modified version of Periodization training. This will keep you on course for great 2013 race season.