Itis July 4th and it is 96 degrees. Summer is here for a while. Many stop running because it is too hot but there are ways to make it easier. This came across the USA Triathlon LinkedIn from Ashley Clifford, professional triathlete, sharing her top five summer running tips and tricks.
1. Chill Out! Life can be hectic and exercise is a healthy way to relax. There is nothing I love more than a long, easy run to relieve stress. Be sure to wear light, breathable clothing for another way to keep cool!
2. Enjoy, Escape and Explore! When you are traveling this summer – on business of vacation – go for a run to see new places. It’s a great opportunity to check out downtown and local parks, you’ll be surprised with the hidden gems you will find.
3. Try a Night Run! Summertime means warm sunshine but it can also mean hot weather! I love being able to run late at night after the sun goes down and the peak heat has passed. Remember to wear reflective gear so drivers can see you.
4. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! Protect your skin from a nasty burn by slathering on some waterproof SPF before heading outside during the day.
5. Water…and Pickles! It’s easy to get dehydrated when running in the summer. Make sure you are drinking enough water. But don’t forget to replenish lost electrolytes, sodium and potassium. I love to refuel on sodium by eating pickles!
Here are a couple more ideas to make the most of your summer runs:
- Trail Running: The trails are cover with a canopy of trees which make it cooler. When it rains you are protected. Warm rain can be refreshing.
- Early morning runs 6-7 am. Running this early the road pavement is cooler.
These hints should make summer running easier and fun.